Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Fathers Day

Hey there. I realize Fathers Day is upon us and I feel fortunate to report that my “adopted” dad and I have a wonderful relationship built on mutual respect and care for one another. Sadly my real dad and I had no such connection. Please understand the following poetry is for those of us whose dads can’t find us in the maze we call being true to ourselves.

What if I were just like you?
Maybe then you’d love me too.
Papa, I’ve been so lonely
       needing someone to hold me.
What if you could stomach me?
Maybe good friends we could be.

Papa, every day I see you,
       but I’m really starting to miss you.
Daddy … don’t.
A fist is not the answer.
This isn’t what I asked for.
Daddy … don’t.
Please, just pretend to love me.

Why do you want hurt me?
What if I was to change my ways?
Maybe I wouldn't be quite so strange.

Papa, silence I can’t take no longer,
       and the violence don’t make you stronger.
If I were not the child I am
       I probably wouldn’t give a damn.
If you don’t see your way clear
       to love me without your fear,
       another chance we may not get
       for living life without regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment